Thursday, July 21, 2005

Learning Love

Not a Fitz --
written for my first wife
of 36 years -- still a true friend,
as we were in the beginning ...

I was afraid to love -
but you knew that, didn't you?
unfair - you came from no love and was sure -
I came from love and didn't know how
we taught each other - some
not enough.

What was said - and not said
needed - not found
not needed - given
lost - found
abused - massaged
loved - forgotten?

I thought to sacrifice myself for your needs -
you thought I was sacrificing family for self
how can I say I have regrets -
when I never did anything to cause pain or loss
deliberately?

Yet, how can I expect love when caring/understanding was ground to dust?

Of all the things that have happened, my friend -

You are now afraid to love

For that I am truly sorry

1 comment:

Fran said...

Forgiveness, friendship, sharing, there are so many ways of life but in the final time it is the memory of the joy once felt that binds together in a different way.